Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mourning for a friend, and working through my fear

Deep inhale. A girl from my Monday morning Bible study is burying her toddler this week. My mind has drifted to the darkest places since finding out. The burning in my throat of tears welling without warning begins, and I have to completely stop what I’m doing to sob. I have 3 small children. I have experienced such anxiety that is crippling. I ACHE for this girl and her husband and their other daughter. Instantaneously, that is how it happens. Life completely altered forever. When we do not expect it, of course because we never expect it, we lose life and loved ones. How does this fit into having joy? I am reading Anne Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts devotional and seeking deepest joy – not just in the mundane – but in the dark and hurtful, painful tribulations too. I have racked my brain about a young mom saying goodbye to a baby girl, a little sister, a future bride and friend. My flesh kicks back, but my heart is yielding to the Holy Spirit today. As I went for a jog that ended in stopping to cry out for this mom's sorrow and grief, and my own selfish panicking anxiety -- and let’s just call it what it is, FEAR -- I was reminded of something. You can’t cheat or outrun death. But NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME WITH IT OR RACING IT. NO! Each day we are all one day closer to it. Our determined day is already just that. Planned. Determined. And not just randomly but by a PERFECT, OMIPRESENT, OMNIPOTENT HOLY GOD! If I believe this, I know there are no accidents. It doesn't explain the why, the pain, the grief, the loss, but it does give way to relief and rest if we let His perfect love cover us and remind us of the Hope. I am ashamed of my fleshly desire to control my children and their God-appointed fate. But the fear! The fear is gripping. Christ commands us to not be anxious or afraid. And a wise older lady said “We see this scripture and yet we still hold on to the fears and anxiety, but really we need to call it what it is, sin.”  In Matthew, God says "Don't worry about tomorrow. It has it's own set of problems. Sufficient to each day is the evil in it." Consider this a command and you’ll realize you are sinning by continuing to black out into the day-mares. That hits home for me. I’m like “Hey God, I trust you, but…” Seriously there are no buts. “God, I trust you.” Exhale.
I John 4:18 “Perfect love casts out fear.”  Philippians 4:6-8 9 [“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and thanksgiving make your requests known to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, dwell on and think about what is TRUE...”]
It’s just so hard, but it’s possible because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13. To dwell on the truth means I cannot even say “but if I just would have…” or “What if…” No! I will not succumb to that today. Today I have greatest joy in knowing He is El Elyon - God Most High.

No comments:

Post a Comment